Today is one of America’s favorite food holidays, it’s National Pizza Day!
To celebrate, here are a few pizza facts:
- Americans eat approximately 100 acres of pizza every day, or 350 slices per second.
- Each person in America eats an average of 46 slices (23 pounds) of pizza a year.
- Over 3 billion pizzas are sold in the U.S. each year.
- Kids between the ages of 3 to 11 prefer pizza over all other food groups for lunch and dinner.
- 17% of all U.S. restaurants are pizzerias.
- Pepperoni is the most popular pizza ordered.
- In America, anchovies always rank last on the list of favorite toppings.
- 62% of Americans prefer meat toppings on their pizza; 38% prefer veggies.
- Women are twice as likely as men to order vegetable toppings on their pizza.
Pizza restaurants all over the country are joining the celebration by offering one day only deals. Here are the ones we have found so far:
California Pizza Kitchen: CPK wants you to try their new cauliflower crust and they are giving it to you for no additional charge on National Pizza Day. (After February 9 the crust will cost an extra $2.50).
Chuck E. Cheese’s: Buy any large pizza and get a free large Thin & Crispy Pepperoni Pizza.
Little Caesars: Get extra pepperoni and cheese for $1 when you upgrade to Little Caesars “EXTRA MOST BESTEST” at participating stores.
Godfather’s Pizza: Get any two large, one-topping pizzas for $22 or get a medium one-topping pizza for $3.99 with the purchase of a large specialty pizza.
Papa John’s Pizza: Save 40 percent off an order online with coupon code “40PIZZA”
Pizza Hut: Buy two medium two-topping pizzas for $5.99, plus Hut Rewards members get 30 percent off the menu price of pizzas.
Whole Foods Market: Large “Take & Bake” pizzas will be on sale for $9.99 Friday at participating stores.
Baskin-Robbins: Jumping on the bandwagon, Baskin-Robbins is giving out free samples of its new Sweetheart Polar Pizza Ice Cream Treat from 3 to 7 p.m.
(Check with locations to verify participation)