Luke Bryan’s new album, Born Here, Live Here, Die Here, which dropped on Aug. 7, debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard Top Country Albums chart this week (8/13/20).
The album moved 65,180 equivalent units, according to Nielsen Music/MRC Data, which was good enough for No. 5 on the all-genre Billboard 200 chart, behind Taylor Swift, Juice WRLD, Pop Smoke and Rod Wave.
“My thing is, write and find some songs, and get about five or six songs going for the album—that starts setting the tone,” said Luke during a virtual media scrum on July 30. “Once you have five or six songs recorded, you can start feeling the vibe of the project. And then from there, you start seeing, ‘Well, what do I need from here? And what am I missing? Do I have too many uptempos, do I have too many mids? I don’t have enough love songs.’ My thing is: spread it out. Try to check a lot of boxes. I’m seven albums in. The current album cycle is about every two years. That’s 14 years of album making I’ve been a part of, which is insane to think about. At the end of it all, when I finish an album, I really try to have it be quite diverse and to let each track live on its own, stand on its own, and really speak for itself.”
Born Here, Live Here, Die Here already features three back-to-back-to-back No. 1 singles: “Knockin’ Boots,” “What She Wants Tonight” and “One Margarita,” which was his 25th career chart-topper. Luke co-penned three songs on the new album, which also includes top songwriters Hillary Lindsey, Jon Nite, Ross Copperman, Dallas Davidson, Josh Thompson and more.
“I think my legacy would be, ‘Man, that guy had fun doing this job, it was prevalent in his music, his music was fun,'” said Luke, when asked specifically about his country music legacy. “I think I’ll be remembered by how much fun I had doing all this.”
Born Here, Live Here, Die Here Track Listing & Songwriters
- Knockin’ Boots (Hillary Lindsey, Jon Nite, Gordie Sampson)
- What She Wants Tonight (Luke Bryan, Ross Copperman, Hillary Lindsey, Jon Nite)
- Born Here Live Here Die Here (Jake Mitchell, Jameson Rodgers, Josh Thompson)
- One Margarita (Michael Carter, Matt Dragstrem, Josh Thompson)
- Too Drunk To Drive (Luke Bryan, Michael Carter, Brandon Kinney)
- Build Me A Daddy (Jake Mitchell, Josh Thompson, Brett Tyler)
- Little Less Broken (Michael Carter, Lindsay Rimes, Matt Rogers)
- For A Boat (Randy Montana, Josh Thompson, Mike Walker)
- Where Are We Goin’ (Luke Bryan, Brent Cobb)
- Down To One (Dallas Davidson, Justin Ebach, Kyle Fishman)
photo by TCD